Easy 5 Minute Hummus Recipe–the best hummus without tahini (sesame seed paste) or any obscure ingredients! Make this recipe in under 5 minutes… better than store-bought!
So I came to a crossroads a few weeks ago. I went to the pantry to grab my favorite crackers and realized I had absolutely NO hummus! The horrors…
What to do, what to do? I scoured the pantry for some canned garbanzo beans, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and decided I would follow where the pantry gods would lead me.
I decided to make my own hummus.
I first turned to Pinterest and Google for hummus recipes. However, upon searching for the perfect fast and easy hummus recipe, I realized that many recipes consisted of boiling, browning, or steaming the chickpeas. On top of that, some even called for tahini.
Now while some of those hummus recipes looked good, I had a problem: I was hungry now.
I didn’t have 20 minutes to spend cooking chickpeas on the stove and THEN puree them and do all that other jazz. No.
I just wanted to whip up some hummus before my stomach would get angry.
So, what’s a hungry girl to do? I decided to Create my own hummus Recipe!
Let me tell you something, I was appalled. Not by the taste, mess, or time it took to make my own hummus recipe. No.
I was appalled that I ever had the nerve to eat storebought hummus!
After tasting this super simple and quick hummus recipe, I was hooked! In fact, this tastes so good that you will never have to buy premade hummus again!
Not only is it yummy, it is also waaaay healthier than the storebought hummus, vegan, and does not require any tahini or obscure ingredients. It is also a lot fresher than the ones sitting on the shelves.
So go grab these 5 main ingredients that I’m about to share and your favorite veggies sticks or crackers, and get ready for this homemade hummus to change your life.
Easy 5 Minute Hummus Recipe (Without Tahini!)
- 1 15.5 oz Can Chickpeas (Garbonzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 3 Medium Garlic Cloves
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- Splah of Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper to taste
How to Make Hummus Without Tahini:
Add chickpeas to a food processor or blender and pulse until a creamy texture begins to form. (About 1 minute).
Scrape down the sides of your food processor and add the remaining ingredients. Pulse or blend until completely smooth. If the mixture it too thick, add a 1/4 tsp of water or reserved chickpea liquid to thin it out. Add more olive oil for a. smoother texture.
Transfer hummus to a serving dish and top with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve with veggies, crackers, or pita bread.
How to Store this Hummus:
You can transfer this hummus into an airtight container and store in your refrigerator for about a week. You can also freeze this hummus for future use and it will keep for about 2 months. When you’re ready to eat, remove hummus from freezer and allow to defrost in the refridgerator.
How to Eat This Hummus:
.My favorite way to eat hummus is by dipping veggies such as carrots sticks, celery, or cucumber slices. This makes for a healthy and nutritious snack. Another tasty option is to spread a layer of hummus on crackers or pita bread.
Tips for Making Hummus Without Tahini:
- You can either use a blender or food processor for this hummus. But I prefer to use a food processor for easy clean up. Here is my favorite one on Amazon.
- Make sure to scrap down the sides of your food processor or blender after a few pulses. This will ensure your hummus is smooth and has an even texture.
- If you have extra time, roast the chickpeas in a pan on medium heat for 8 minutes without stirring. This is completely optional. but adds a nice roasted flavor.
- The cumin is very minimal and not overpowering. But you could omit it if you are not a cumin fan.
Easy 5 Minute Hummus (Without Tahini!)
- Food Processor
- 1 (15.5) oz Can Chickpeas
- 3 Medium Garlic Clovs
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- Splash of lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Add chickpeas to a food processor or blender and pulse until a creamy texture begins to form. (About 1 minute).
- Scrape down sides of food processor and add the remaining ingredients. Pulse or blend until completely smooth. Add more olive oil for a smoother texture.
- Transfer hummus to a serving dish and top with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve with veggies, crackers, or pita bread.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you like it by rating and commenting below!
Pin this for easy reference!