The most delicious vegan plum muffins! Easy to make, healthy breakfast, vegan, dairy-free, and a tasty breakfast everyone will love.
A few weeks ago we harvested plums from our backyard plum tree. If you have a garden or any type of fruit tree, you know the bittersweet feeling when picking season comes around. The trees are just so beautiful when they’re full of colorful fruit!
This is my second year tending a garden (first for a plum tree), and it’s one of my favorite things! Eating what you grow is so gratifying…. especially when it’s as delicious and juicy as these plums!
Our ONE plum tree allowed me to make two batches of plum breakfast bars AND still have plenty for baking these plum muffins (and I even have more leftover… 🙂 ). So, I decided to create some mouthwatering vegan plum muffins!
I’ll be honest, I typically don’t reach for fruit-infused pastries. For some reason, I’m more of a chocolate chip muffin kinda girl. But these vegan plum muffins are SO good!
They are fruity enough to taste like breakfast, yet moist enough to melt in your mouth and feel like you’re skipping straight to dessert. Mmm…
One thing to note about making these muffins is that you may need to adjust the baking powder according to your elevation. We are at 6,000 feet in Colorado, so I dialed back the baking powder to 1 ½ tsp… but if you’re in lower elevations I recommend upping it to 2 tsp.
I love that these muffins are really moist. I added one whole mashed banana to soften up the texture. (Use ½ a banana if you like your muffins less moist). I find that you can barely taste the banana flavor, but you could always substitute for a ½ cup of applesauce or non-dairy yogurt if you don’t care for bananas.
If you want to tweak this recipe, it should be forgiving. These muffins have such a light aroma when baking and make the house smell like fall! 🙂
How to Make Vegan Plum Muffins:
I began with chopping the plums into small chunks and mixing in some flour. This helped the plum chunks from not sinking to the bottom of the batter when baking in the oven.
After you have prepped the plums, you can combine all of your wet ingredients in one bowl along with the sugar, mashed banana, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine the bowl of dry ingredients to the large wet ingredient bowl. Lightly fold in your rolled oats and chopped plums.
Pour muffin batter into greased muffin tins (or into muffin paper cups) and place into a 400°F oven for about 25-30 mins or when a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the muffins. Let the muffins cool for approximately 10 mins.
Tips for Making Vegan Plum Muffins:
- Use a wooden spoon when mixing the ingredients. It is best to skip out on using the hand mixer or Kitchen Aid because you don’t want to overmix these. Instead, mix them “just” enough to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Prep the chopped plums with a coating of flour. This helps keep the plums from sinking straight to the bottom of the muffin batter.
- If you’re using small plums, cut them in half longways, twist, and pop the pit out. I have found this to be the easiest way of removing the pit.
How to Store Leftover Vegan Plum Muffins:
You can keep them in an airtight container or wrap them in plastic wrap which will keep for 4-5 days. Or, you can freeze them for ahead of time and they will keep for 2 months. Just make sure you place them in freezer-safe bags so they don’t get freezer burned! When you’re ready to eat you can thaw them out by heating in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Can I use Frozen Plums to make these Muffins?
You can certainly use any frozen plums you may have on hand! Make sure that when you go to fold the frozen plums into the batter they are not completely thawed out. This would make a mushy muffin.
Vegan Plum Muffins
- 3 Cups Chopped Plums
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- 2/3 Cup Almond Milk (Or any other non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Mashed Banana
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder (Increase for lower elevations)
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease muffin pan.
Prepare the Plums
- Add chopped plums and 2 tbsp of flour in a medium bowl. Stir well to combine. (This prevents the plums from sinking to the bottom of the batter while baking.)
Prepare the Batter
- Combine the non-dairy milk, sugar, vegetable oil, mashed banana, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Add flour, rolled oats, baking powder, and salt to mixing bowl.
- Gently fold in chopped plums. Be careful not to overmix.
- Transfer muffin batter to greased muffin tins filling each one about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake in 400F oven for 25-30 minutes or when a toothpick placed in the middle of the muffins comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pans for 10 minutes.
Please tell me in the comments how these muffins turned out for you! I love reading your responses.
Liked this recipe? Pin it!
Check out my other recipes here: