Make these green The Grinch and Max the dog / reindeer pancakes on Christmas morning! These pancakes are dairy-free, have no added sugar, and are so flavorful! They are a festive and easy Christmas breakfast idea that is perfect for Christmas morning!
🎶 You’re a delicious one, Mr.Grinch! I recently made a “mean” stack of adorable and super tasty Grinch / Christmas themed pancakes! I love creating unique breakfast ideas, and this is definitely one.
I’ve seen recipes for Santa and reindeer pancakes floating around on Pinterest and wanted to get in on the fun! So I came up with a festive spin on the classic Christmas pancakes and decided to make The Grinch and his trusty dog / reindeer sidekick, Max from the movie How The Grinch Stole Christmas! How cute are they?
Surprisingly, these were pretty easy to make. The Max pancakes follow the recipe as usual, and the Grinch only requires green food coloring, but no extra crazy ingredients are needed! You can make these pancakes using a pancake griddle or just a pan on the stove. Either will work.
The pancake recipe I used includes Bisquick and is dairy-free, but you could use really any pancake recipe. I also added a few extra ingredients to make the pancakes more flavorful (more on that below!). Such a simple recipe, these are perfect to make on Christmas morning!
For The Grinch pancake I used bananas, strawberries, chocolate chips, and whipped cream (my favorite! I also used black food gel icing for the Grinch’s smirk, but you could also use melted chocolate and draw the mouth with a toothpick or piping bag. Max only needs a strawberry for the tongue and chocolate chips for the eyes and nose. See, pretty simple!
Now, let’s get into the ingredients you need to make this Christmas themed breakfast!
Ingredients for The Grinch and Max the Dog / Reindeer Pancakes:
- Baking Powder
- Almond Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Green Food Coloring
- Nutmeg (Optional, but adds a festive flavor.)
- Chocolate chips
- Black food gel (or melted chocolate)
- Whipped cream
How to Make The Grinch and Max the Dog / Reindeer Pancakes:
Step 1: Mix
Mix together the Bisquick, baking powder, almond milk, vanilla extract, eggs, and nutmeg. The batter will have lumps. Do not overmix!
If making The Grinch, add green food coloring now. (You may need to add more food coloring depending on how vibrant you want your pancakes to be.) If making Max, omit the food coloring and continue to step 2.
Step 2: Pour
Pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter on a medium heat griddle and flip when bubbles form or edges or dry.
If making Max, make sure to draw bone-shaped antlers with your piping bag (or plastic bag with the corner cut off).
*If making the Grinch, flip before your pancake has darkened to avoid ruining the green color.
Step 3: Assemble
For The Grinch:
Assemble the Grinch, use three pancakes: one large pancake acting as the face, and the two smaller pancakes acting as dimension for the eyes. Use two sliced bananas and chocolate chips for the eyes, black food gel (or melted chocolate) for the mouth, and strawberries and whip cream for the hat.
Assemble Max with three pancakes: one large pancake acting as the face, one small pancake cut in half for the ears, and one for the snout. Add a halved strawberry for the tongue and chocolate chips for the eyes and mouth.
*You can also skip the extra pancakes and only use one for the Grinch and Max. The extra pancakes just add more dimension.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Grinch and Max Pancakes:
- When making the Grinch pancakes, I added 4 drops of food coloring to the mix in order for the green color to be vibrant enough. You may need more or less depending on which pancake recipe you use, but make sure you add enough to account for browning during cooking.
- Keep an eye on the Grinch pancakes while they are cooking. You don’t want them to turn too dark. Otherwise, the green color may not show through.
- For Max’s reindeer antlers, I just spooned some pancake batter into a bag and cut the corner tip off. This allowed for more control over shaping the batter. I then drew little bone-shaped antlers on the griddle and let it cook accordingly.
The Grinch and Max the Dog/Reindeer Pancakes
- Pancake Griddle or Stovetop Pan
- 2 Cups Bisquick Mix
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Drops Green Food Coloring (More or less depending on how vibrant you want your pancakes)
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (Optional)
- Sliced Bananas
- Chocolate Chips
- Black Food Gel (Or Melted Chocolate)
- Whipped Cream
For The Grinch
- Mix together the Bisquick, baking powder, almond milk, vanilla extract, eggs, and nutmeg. The batter will have lumps. Do not overmix! Add green food coloring, adding more or less depending on how vibrant you want the pancakes to be.
- Pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter on a medium heat griddle. Flip when bubbles form or edges are dry. Watch the pancake to avoid over-browning and ruining the green color.
For Max the Dog/Reindeer
- Mix together the Bisquick, baking powder, almond milk, vanilla extract, eggs, and nutmeg. The batter will have lumps. Do not overmix!
- Pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter on a medium heat griddle. Draw bone-shaped antlers on top of the round pancake batter.
- Flip when bubbles form or edges are dry. Pancakes are done when golden brown.
These are so fun to make and really get everyone in the holiday spirit! It is such a festive and unique Christmas breakfast idea that everyone will love. You could also make these as “breakfast for dinner” and eat while watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Liked this? Pin it!
If you would like to see more DIY, Recipe, Lifestyle, and Travel, follow me here:
More on the Blog: