Incredibly soft and moist with loads of flavor, these Carrot Cake Cupcakes are filled with your favorite aromatic spices. Make them egg-free for an allergy-friendly cupcake recipe!
Do you consider carrot cake a fall or spring dessert? While I usually associate carrots with all things spring and Easter, the spices that complement carrot cake scream fall! I for one do not wait for when carrot cake is “socially acceptable”, give it to me all year round! 🙂
These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are incredibly flavorful and will surely be a crowd-pleaser. The sour cream and shredded carrots make these cupcakes extra soft and melt in your mouth with each bite. Not to mention the cinnamon-flavored frosting that boosts these cupcakes to a whole other level!
Why You’ll Love These Cupcakes:
- Moist and soft. No dry or dense cupcakes here!
- Hidden veggies. Cupcakes aren’t all bad for you if you’ve got some shredded carrots sprinkled in there, right?? 🙂
- Packed full of flavor. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves provide ALLLL the flavor!
- Can be made with or without the egg, making it suitable for egg-allergy sufferers.
- High Altitude Approved! These work amazingly as is at sea level and high altitudes—no modifications needed!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Carrots: Finely grated and packed loosely into your measuring cup.
- Butter: Melted.
- Brown Sugar: Can substitute coconut sugar if desired.
- All-purpose flour: I have not tested this recipe with gluten-free flour, but a 1:1 should work.
- Egg/Flax Egg: You can use either one regular chicken egg or one “flax egg” substitute. See Notes in the recipe card.
- Sour Cream: Opt for full fat.
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ground Cloves, Vanilla Extract: Flavor, flavor, flavor!
- Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt
How to Make Carrot Cake Cupcakes:
These are pretty simple to make, and for my high-altitude readers, no modifications needed! Woo!
(full instructions and ingredient list in the recipe card below)
Step 1: Make the Batter
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and all the spices. In a separate large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, egg/flax egg, sour cream, and vanilla extract. The batter will have some small lumps from the sour cream, which is completely fine. Stir in the shredded carrots.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, being careful not to overmix the batter. The batter will be thick.
Step 2: Bake
Scoop the batter into a prepared muffin tin just shy of the tops.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before topping with icing or frosting.
The best Icing for these Cupcakes:
I like to finish these cupcakes off with a simple icing consisting of powdered sugar, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and water. The sweet but subtle flavoring is the perfect complement to go along with these cupcakes! Just make sure your cupcakes have cooled completely before you spread the icing, otherwise, it will melt off.
Note: A cream cheese frosting also works well.
If you’re big on texture, try adding these mix-ins to the batter!
- Golden Raisins
- Shredded Coconut
The most common way to store these is by keeping them covered in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. If making these for a party or event, it’s best to leave them unfrosted until the day of serving. To freeze, transfer to a freezer bag or container and store for up to a month.
Love carrot cake as much as I do? Try my Carrot Cake Inspired Energy Bites!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 3/4 Cup Melted Butter
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar (Or coconut sugar)
- 1 Egg OR "Flax Egg" (see notes for flax egg)
- 3 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cup Grated Carrots
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Hot Water
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, egg/flax egg, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Gently stir in the grated carrots.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and gently fold until just incorporated. Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and hot water until there are no clumps. Add more hot water for a thinner consistency. Spread onto the tops of the cupcakes once they have completely cooled.
- High altitude: No adjustments needed.
- Flax egg: To substitute the egg in this recipe, make a flax egg consisting of 1 tablespoon ground flax and 3 tablespoons water. Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to thicken.
Liked this? Pin it!