Lemon Blueberry Waffles
These Lemon and Blueberry waffles have a crispy golden outer edge and a warm fluffy center. A subtle lemony flavor paired with sweet bursting blueberries makes these fresh-tasting waffles ready for spring and summer breakfasts!
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Buttermilk (or 2 tbsp vinegar mixed with 2 cups milk of your choice. See notes)
- 4 Tbsp Melted Butter (or vegan butter)
- 3 Eggs (use "flax eggs" if making vegan. See notes)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Lemon (juiced and zested)
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk (or vinegar + milk), eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Add in the zest and juice from one lemon.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Fold in the blueberries. Scoop batter into a waffle iron and cook for 2-3 minutes or until waffle is golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
Top with a squeeze of lemon, blueberries, and pure maple syrup.
- Make these eggless by using 1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 Tbsp water for every egg you substitute.
- To substitute buttermilk, use 2 Tbsp vinegar (like apple cider vinegar or white vinegar) and mix with 2 cups of desired milk (regular or non-dairy).
- Do not over-mix the batter! It will have lumps, which is completely fine. Just make sure your ingredients are incorporated.