Whole Wheat Muffins
Incredibly soft and pillowy Whole Wheat Muffins! Can be made completely vegan and with pantry staples, it is a healthier muffin recipe that you can feel good about eating for breakfast!
- 2 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil (measured solid, then melted)
- 1 1/2 Cups Non-dairy Milk (or Buttermilk if not making vegan. See notes)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (Omit if using buttermilk See notes)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease (or line with baking cups) the muffin tin.
Whisk together the whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add in the vanilla extract, melted coconut oil, and buttermilk/homemade buttermilk mixture. Gently mix until all the ingredients are combined. Do not overmix.
Spoon the batter into each cup, filling them about 3/4 of the way. Sprinkle some extra coconut sugar on the tops.
Bake the muffins for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- If not making vegan, use 1 1/2 cups buttermilk.
- This recipe is a great base for added mix-ins. Try fresh or frozen fruit, nuts, or chocolate chips!