Key Lime Sugar Cookies
A subtle zing makes these lime-infused sugar cookies refreshing and bright. They can be made egg-free and vegan, and with an unbelievably chewy texture, they’re bound to be a summer favorite!
- 1 Egg OR Flax Egg (See notes to make the flax egg)
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter (Softened, 1 stick. See notes for vegan.)
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Limes (squeezed and zested)
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
If not making egg-free/vegan skip this step. In a small bowl, prepare the flax egg by combining ground flax and water. Place in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate large bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar together. Add the egg/flax egg, lime zest, and juice of two small limes. Beat for 20 seconds. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until evenly combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Once the dough is chilled, remove from the refrigerator and scoop into balls. Roll each ball in powdered sugar. Space out the cookie dough on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cookies sit on the tray for an extra 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or plate.
- Flax Egg: Combine 1 tablespoon ground flax and 3 tablespoons water and place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Vegan: Use vegan butter and a flax egg.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- High Altitude: No adjustments needed.